Monday, October 6, 2008

Music That Matters Monday

The last time I posted "Music That Matters Monday" I featured the artist Bon Iver, who I love. If any of you watch the show Grey's Anatomy you would have heard some Bon Iver the last couple of episodes. It's some great listening, I think, obviously. Anywhooo, since the five of you that read my blog are probably bored with the music, I thought I'd update the player with my favorite tunes of the moment.

Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova make up the Swell Season. They are also the stars of a great movie called Once. Their songs make up the soundtrack for this little movie. And if any of you watch the Oscars you might remember when they won the award for Best Song last year. Jon Stewart was hosting and the music cut off Marketa before she could say anything so he brought her back out after the commercial break so she could have a chance to make an acceptance speech. It was a pretty awesome moment. This is what she said....

"Hi everyone. I just want to thank you so much. This is such a big deal, not only for us, but for all other independent musicians and artists that spend most of their time struggling, and this, the fact that we're standing here tonight, the fact that we're able to hold this, it's just to prove no matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible. And, you know, fair play to those who dare to dream and don't give up. And this song was written from a perspective of hope, and hope at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are. And so thank you so much those who helped us along way. Thank you."

After that moving speech, I netflixed Once and the movie was fantastic. Of course you all know how much I love anything with an English/Ireland accent, but I really loved this movie! It was just a sweet story about meeting the right person at the right time. And the music, which they wrote and performed themselves, made me feel my toes. So, when I saw that the couple from Once was performing at the Rialto here in Tucson, I freaked out and made Ben buy tickets. Which he did and we saw The Swell Season last week. It was such a great show! They even closed with an Irish folk song that they made the whole audience sing. I hope you like the new "Music That Matters!"

2 comments:

Brooke said...

Every time I watch Grey's I always want a sound track or to know who all of the artists are....thanks for at least one! How are you doing with your busy schedule and everything else in life?

mablebrown said...

Brooke-- click on the Grey's Anatomy link on my post...it goes to a list of their music. It's pretty great. As far as the rest of life...see my next post!