
I'm supposed to be working right now, but yesterday at work I threw out my back. I work 12 hour shifts and my job as a Nursing Student Intern, is essentially being a Nurse's slave. So, I take care of all my nurse's patients (up to 10 sickos). I take their vital signs, measure their urine, clean other bodily fluids up, change
everyone's sheets, and help bathe and feed patients that can't do it themselves. It sucks, BIG TIME. Yesterday on top of all the regular craziness, a few of my patients were in isolation. This means, that
every time I went into their rooms I had to put on a gown, and gloves and then of course scrub up
every time I came out. It really puts a kink in trying to hurry in and out. Anyways, by about 6:15 I could see the end of the day and was just about to get my final tasks completed when I bent down to the ground to mop up some stuff. And then I couldn't stand up. I had to have a friend help me and when she tried to pull me up, my lower back seized up and there was some popping, and I could barely stand. Needless to say, being around a bunch of health care workers, there was a bunch of over-reacting and incident report paperwork and then a walk down to the EMERGENCY ROOM.
Ahhh, humiliation and PAIN are a fantastic combo. I didn't want anyone pushing me in a wheelchair through the hospital where I work, so I walked like the hunchback of
Notre Dame instead. And when I got to the ER, I was promptly admitted to a room where I was handed a cup to pee in, and a gown to change in to. It was great, especially since I can't remember the last time I shaved my legs (because of laser hair removal of course, not laziness or anything) and of course WHO doesn't love taking their bra off AT WORK!? A couple of hours later, urine test, x-rays, and muscle relaxers taken, I was sent home with a doctors note getting me out of work. So, now I have a bunch of crap to deal with because this was a work injury. Oh well, at least I got a prescription for
Vicodin. I only have three more weeks of class before I start my
preceptorship (that is if I pass my next test and final) so I'm just trying to keep the flood gates closed and the stress level low. I think the prescriptions will help with that.
P.S. Like my bracelet? It totally goes with my scrubs, don't ya think?
6 comments:
having had two jobs that require a near constant washing of hands, there is no quick way to do it. really, ive tried to find it, but after a while you find a nice beat for it. and vicodin is a WONDERFUL THING!!! so what did you do to yourself? just not stand up right or what?
I just have a bad back in general and I had been lifting people in bed all day and bending up and down picking nasty laundry up. My back just gave out.
I have been there, Sarah. For two and a half years I dealt with on and off pain, with occasional spouts of extreme pain. I'm sorry! Especially because it happened at work! All I can say is take the medicine and try to let it heal! It takes time that's all!?!!
Love ya!
is there some kind of brace you can wear?
Didn't anyone ever tell you that its a good idea to keep your pants ON at work? Geez, some people!
*
*
*
*
*
*
Hope you feel better!
at least you aren't pregnant. I think that most people would like to take their bra off at work. maybe I will tomorrow since I am just a stay at home mom.
Post a Comment