Monday, June 9, 2008

VANCOUVER, WA

I went home to Vancouver for Tandy's funeral. It was a sad sad experience. I went to a memorial service at church on Thursday and then on Friday to the grave site dedication. I saw and met all of her extended family and talked to her teenage boys. It was really hard because all I wanted to do was talk to her and see her. She was always such a presence in my life and I just can't believe she's gone.

Vancouver is completely weird now. It's not anything like it was when I lived there, and most of the people I cared about are gone. I drove around for a few hours on Sunday exploring. Here are some shots of old familiar places. I spoke to the current owner of the old Sharp house. He laughed when I told him there used to be a pink door.



I
made my way to good old Pleasant Valley, where I was stopped by three different teachers and had to explain who I was and why I was walking around taking pictures. They were convinced I was casing the joint since two classrooms had been broken into just this weekend.



I then stopped off at Prairie where I ran in to my old friend Al Aldridge. There was a basketball tourney happening. He said, "of course I remember you! I always remember the good ones." It was nice of him to say even if it wasn't true.



My last stop was Tandy's house. I used to go by her house whenever I was in town and we'd sit out on her porch swing forever and talk. I'm going to miss her.

3 comments:

Claire said...

The house looks a lot better without the pink door.

janaemadsen said...

Thanks for the pictures- crazy how the house looks. Good thing the yard still isn't perfect- but the trees sure have grown. I drove by once a few years ago. Also we are going to be in the tri-cities this summer and I am planning to go to Vancouver to eat Burgerville- would you care to join me?

mablebrown said...

I would love to join you for some Burgerville! Just let me know when!