skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Mission to Mars
So, in case you didn't know....today the Mars Phoenix Lander landed on Mars. This is a big deal at my house because Ben wants to be a Martian. I'm not kidding. He wants to scrap Earth and go start over on Mars. This was the first step in making his dream a reality. And as I say this out loud....he's saying “no, it's not the first step.” But whatever, here we are watching the NASA channel, which in case you've never had the pleasure of tunning in to the NASA channel, let me set the scene. The “show” on the NASA channel is usually a room full of dudes, sitting in rows, in front of computers, wearing nifty headsets and that's about it.....there's not even really any sound. Today the “show” was a little bit different. The NASA dudes were understandably freaking out (considering something they sent on August 4th of LAST year was about to land) and some were standing around the rows of computers (not just sitting) and then some guy with an accent started doing a countdown of all these things that the lander was doing, like separating from it's “cruise stage” (I don't know what that means) and entering Mars' atmosphere and then of course landing on the surface of Mars. Of course, when the Phoenix actually landed, all the NASA dudes jumped up and cheered and awkwardly hugged each other. I tried to figure out more about what was happening but when I was trying to ask questions, Ben shooshed me because “this is EXCITING!” I guess in a way it is kind of exciting to think about sending something to another planet. The animation of the landing was a little disappointing though. I mean, couldn't they send another “space craft” behind the lander to get actual footage....because that would be cool for sure. Anyways just thought I would let you all know that something crazy cool happened today. Maybe you won't think it's cool because you're totally desensitized to “the next frontier” because of all the horrible space movies and tv shows. But Ben thinks it's cool (we're also DVRing whatever NASA or JPL or the UofA is broadcasting on the Science channel) and I do too. And I'm glad that my boyfriend never makes me watch stupid sports.
4 comments:
Hello- how are you! I am excited to be posting to your blog. I guess marathon watching survivor doesn't sound so bad. Nice blog!
I'm glad you started a blog! It's a great way to stay in touch.
i'm glad ben is such a nerd
it gives a nice contrast to your evil genius.
MUHAHA!!!
By the way, the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter took a picture of the Phoenix Mars Lander during its descent to the surface. This was the first time that one spacecraft photographed another in the act of landing on Mars. It's not video, but it'll have to do.
Post a Comment